Week 8 – Community

The community I am currently a part of is the Dakar, Senegal area. This community spans throughout the city. Dakar isn’t that big of a city, especially considering that it is a capital city. However, it is densely populated in relativity to its size; the population is estimated to be 1.5 to 3 million, which goes from 1/9 to a little under a quarter of Senegal’s entire population.

The primary language spoken in my community is French, the colonial language followed by Wolof, the local Senegalese language.

The problems my community faces is dealing with housing (prices too high) and (un)employment, which is leading to poverty. In downtown Dakar, groups of people can be seen begging for money, a sign that my community’s economy is a low point. In order to improve this situation, more aid can be given, as well as training to increase the workforce. Also, more homes must be built, in order to reduce the demand, hence putting prices down. The government must also survey the money being transferred in Dakar, as many of the expensive homes are made in an effort of money laundering.

dakar1_corniche-est_cimages-1poverty-in-dakar